How Do I Protect My Driver’s License After A DUI Charge?

There are two ways you can lose your license after being charged with drunk driving in Arizona. The first is through administrative proceedings. The second is through a criminal conviction.

At Antol & Hance, PC, in Flagstaff, we know how important it is for you to protect your driving privileges. Our attorneys do everything in their power to prevent your license from being revoked or suspended, and get you the work permits you need to keep your employment.

Administrative Proceedings

The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) operates a point system. Driving infractions, such as DUI/DWIs, carry a set number of points. Too many points will result in the revocation of your driver's license.

A DUI/DWI charge carries eight points — enough to cause a 90-day license revocation. Refusing to take a breath test or blood test will also cause you to lose your license for one year — 24 months if it is your second refusal.

When you are charged with drunk driving, you will lose your license on the spot. You may be eligible for a work permit, but you must act fast to request an administrative hearing to have your license reinstated.

Criminal Conviction

Even if you win your administrative appeal, you can still lose your license if you are convicted of DUI/DWI. One of the main penalties associated with a DUI/DWI conviction is suspension or revocation of your license. The length of the revocation depends on a number of items, including whether you have prior DUI/DWI convictions, your blood alcohol level and other extenuating factors.

We Will Help You Protect Your Driver's License

At Antol & Hance, PC, our lawyers have more than 60 combined years of experience helping clients defend against DUI/DWI charges and protect their licenses. We know the ins and outs of the criminal and administrative systems, and we know what it takes to successfully defend your license against revocation. Let our experience work for you. Call us today at 928-255-1730 or contact us online for a free consultation.